Jun 11, 2009

This lovely little man....

Photobucket

.... doesn't have aspergers or autism!

I got a call from the nurse that has been overseeing EJ's case rang me to keep me up to date with what's going on. She presented his files and assesments to the Aspergers/Autism doctor lady and it was ruled out pretty quickly.

She suggested there could be another disorder, one with characteristics that are similar to aspergers. Something to do with sensory stuff. I have no idea what the name is, I have never heard of it. Apparently it's a new thing, that is still being researched and learned about. Anyway we have a referal to a occupational therapist.

Children's mental health have the referral and it's a matter of them contacting me with an appointment time.

The nurse told me she is eager to get this moving because one EJ turns four, he will be out of their hands and in the hands of the department of education - then it's up to them. Apparently their assesments and time frames are less than ideal.

So that's the update.
I'm so thankful this nurse is keeping me informed, and doing her utmost for EJ. She is so supportive and kind. She said her door is always open for me to come and have a chat if I feel like I am going bonkers. :) I feel so heard and understood. I'm incredibly grateful for her. God has blessed me with someone who is bending over backwards to help me and my precious boy.

So...

On we go.

4 comments:

Daphadills said...

Its great to read there are a few people out there who are helpful for our kids. Praise God!

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

A sensory processing disorder? It's wonderful that they're looking into it and getting him the help he needs.

Skipper said...

That could be it Mel. She said it so fast, I couldn't process it. She is sending out reading material for me to look at so I'll know more.

Renata said...

Praise God he doesn't have those - hope he can get a diagnosis quickly - certainly sounds like they have the right nurse on the job! Are you all recovered yet?