Sep 27, 2009

School Holidays - day one!

I had forgotten how much I love school holidays. I love the sounds of all three of my kids playing together. I love the sounds of Mop's imaginative games with her Polly Pockets. I love the dull roar of their advancement into the kitchen when it's food time. I love that Mop can do alot of the "mothering" for me and keeps both kids happy and entertained. Considering I have an extra child at home, I have less work!! I've managed to have a shower, clean out Milly's room to make it a bedroom (last lot of baby stuff left the house to the shed today *sob*) and do a big tidy up - without being pestered, disturbed or whinged at!! I love it!!

Today EJ had an appointment with the speech pathologist. She has been in consultation with the Occ Therapist and together they are sorting things out. EJ is still in the process of being asessed with his speech. They say his "content" is good - but his grammar isn't good. He has trouble putting things together correctly and doesn't understand alot of stuff, because he doesn't understand grammar. But they can work on that, so it's not exactly life threatening!! LOL
They are trying to get this assesment out of the way - then refer him on to a community health place that do speech therapy AND Occ therapy at the same place. The OT told the speechie that EJ did what they call "Sensory avoidance" - which means refused to touch or play with things that he didn't like. Interesting. I'll find out more about that on Wednesday when we see the OT.

We are starting to adjust to this change in churches. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal to some, but it is a very big deal to us. We are still somewhat in a daze about it, but moving forward to make the necessary changes.

We are looking forward to this weekend - we are going to have a long weekend in one of our favourite areas on the Yorke Peninsula. I plan to do our Christmas card shoot (one of them) while we are there - if the weather is fine and lighting conditions are good. :) We are going to catch up with some friends for dinner and generally chillaxing with the kids. We are looking forward to some time away.

Mop's report card came on Friday and we are very proud of her acheivements. She has scored very high for all her academic areas - she just needs to work on her social areas. We are working on things as we can. Last term I told her that if she changed a certain behaviour, she could have any toy she liked at the end of term. Her teacher said in the report card that it had - so off we went to Target and she bought a Princess sort of Polly Pocket thing. Her teacher said she is producing high standard work and is a keen contributor to class discussions - in other words opionionated!! LOL. We are very proud of her and we love to see that she is doing so well and is very happy there.

EJ got a little report as well from his kindy. Apparently they have been focusing on coordination and physical activities. That's probably why EJ can suddenly throw and catch a ball!! :) He starts having full days at Kindy as of next term. Will be interesting to see how he goes with that.

Milly Moo got more than just a little sick with her teeth - she got that roseola thing. Poor love. I got her out of the bath and saw this rash which got progressively worse as the days went on. Yesterday it looked awful!! But then magically by 5pm it all had dissapeared and she is back to her happy self. Poor tike. I was horrified at first, thinking it was measles or something - but then I remembered that my other two had it around the 18 month mark as well - and it was pretty mild in the grand scheme of things. Isn't it funny how you automatically assume the worst?? When all goes quiet - I think... HMMM, whose being naughty? When Mop screams after falling off something, I automatically check for broken bones!! When does this paranoia and pessimistic outlook dissapear? I'm optimistic in most other areas. LOL

Well I better shoot off. This house won't tidy itself, and I better make the most of the quiet while Milly sleeps, and E and Mop play quietly at the other end of the house!

1 comment:

Renata said...

Well done for good school results!! Opinionated is good - it´s better than being walked all over!!
Glad the roseola went quickly- not fun.
Glad EJ ot & speech is going well.