Mar 12, 2010

Deciding to make a difference - however small.

Last week I discovered something horrible.

The real cost of chocolate

So after doing some further research, we have decided as a family that we will no longer be consuming chocolate that is not fair-trade. It makes me sick to think of enjoying something over here in my comfortable little world, where my children run free, are eductated and fed - whilst the little children on the other side of the world are beaten, overworked and malnourished to pick the ingredients for my chocolate. Not acceptable. What if it was my child? What if it was my Mop being beaten to work harder. What if it was my EJ being starved. What if Milly never had the opportunity to go to school, but to be a slave?

Well I will not be supporting that. I will however be supporting the brands that ARE trying their utmost to be ethical. Cadbury are going to be releasing a fair-trade range in a few weeks, which I am most pleased about! Go Cadbury!!!

CADBURY IS GOING FAIR TRADE!!

I'm not on a soap box here... I'm discovering something about myself that I didn't know I had. I am filled with fire and passion for the social injustices that are being ignored by big companies. This is not acceptable to me, nor my family.

I talked to Mop about this - explaining why we won't be doing chocolate easter eggs this year - but instead a toy gift. I explained that bad grown ups are hurting little kids and they can't go to school, and they aren't eating well. The children are sad and so we don't want to enjoy something that made them sad. Mop started to cry, not because she wasn't going to get chocolate - "why are those people so mean to the kids? It's hurting my feelings (which means her heart is hurting - she's still learning to express emotion) - why don't those people have consequences for hurting the children? I don't want chocolate anymore."

So we are going to make a difference! We are 5 people - but 5 people supporting the brands that have decided to be ethical. As time goes on, I don't plan to sit here silently. I want to be a voice for those children. Just have to work out how.

No comments: